Omaha Hit-and-Run Accident Lawyer

Click For Free Consultation

Being the victim of a hit-and-run accident is a scary and overwhelming experience. Not only are you struggling to cope with the physical and emotional injuries you’ve sustained, but you’re also left wondering how you will pay for all the damages. If you’re feeling lost and uncertain about what to do next, consider contacting a lawyer immediately. The Knowles Law Firm has decades of experience handling hit-and-run accidents. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation. 

What To Do if You Are in a Hit and Run Accident

After a car accident where anyone is injured, or a death occurs, drivers are required to take the following actions:

  • Stop the car right away.
  • Provide a driver’s license and contact information to the other party, including phone number and address.
  • Provide reasonable medical help if necessary, such as calling for an ambulance.

You should also take the following steps:

1. Seek medical attention immediately. This is your number one priority after being involved in any kind of accident. Even if you don’t think you’ve been injured, it’s important to get checked out by a doctor as soon as possible. Some injuries, like whiplash, may not present themselves until days or weeks after the accident. 

2. File a police report. This is an essential step in the process of getting compensated for your hit-and-run accident. The police report will be used as evidence when filing an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit. 

3. Gather evidence. If you have a dash cam or any other type of video footage of the accident, be sure to save it, as this will help prove your case. You should also take photos of any visible injuries as well as damage to your vehicle. In addition, collect contact information for any witnesses who saw what happened. 

4. Call your insurance company. Your insurance company will likely have a designated procedure for handling hit-and-run accidents. They may require that you file a police report before they begin processing your claim. 

5. Hire a lawyer. If the driver who hit you ends up not having insurance, you may need to file a personal injury lawsuit to get compensated for your damages. An experienced lawyer will be able to guide you through this process and help you recover the compensation you deserve.

How Do You Get Paid After a Hit and Run Accident in Nebraska?

It’s scary to be hit by a car, especially when the driver flees the scene. You may be confused and disoriented, not sure what to do next. But you can take steps to ensure that you are compensated for your injuries—even if the driver who hit you is never caught. Here’s what you need to know about getting paid after a hit-and-run accident in Nebraska.

Report the Accident

If you’ve been the victim of a hit and run, the first thing you should do is report the accident to the police. This is important for two reasons. First, it will help create a record of the accident that can be used as evidence if you decide to file an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit. Second, it may help the police catch the driver who hit you. Be sure to get a copy of the police report for your records.

File an Insurance Claim

Even if the driver who hit you is never found, you may still be able to get compensated for your injuries through your own insurance company. If you have uninsured motorist coverage (UM), your insurer will step in and cover your damages up to your policy limit, just as if the other driver had been insured. If you don’t have UM coverage, or if your damages exceed your policy limit, you may still be able to recover compensation by filing a personal injury lawsuit against the driver who hit you—if they are ever found. 

Contact An Attorney

The best way to ensure that you are fully compensated for your injuries is to contact an experienced hit-and-run attorney who can help guide you through the process of filing an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit. Your attorney will also be able to negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf to help ensure that you get the full compensation you deserve. 

File a Personal Injury Claim if You Locate the Driver

If your damages exceed your policy limits or you don’t have insurance, you can still recover compensation by filing a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver if you can locate them. To have a successful case, you’ll need to prove that the driver was negligent and that their negligence caused your injuries. This can be done with eyewitness testimony, surveillance footage, or other forms of evidence.

Underinsured Motorist Coverage in Nebraska

All drivers in Nebraska are required to have uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. If you are involved in a hit-and-run, your own insurance company should treat the situation as if there was a driver located and they don’t have insurance. Therefore, your insurance company would be responsible for paying damages, including medical bills and property damage. Your insurance policy will pay out up to your policy limits for injuries sustained in the accident. 

You may also be able to recover damages from your own insurance company through your

collision coverage. Collision coverage will pay for damage to your vehicle regardless of who is at fault. You will have to pay your deductible before your insurance company will reimburse you for the remaining damage.

Why You Should Hire The Knowles Law Firm After a Hit and Run Accident

  • Chances are, if you call the office on the weekend, we’re there working on cases.
  • We handle all communications with the insurance companies so you can focus on healing.
  • We take all cases on a contingency fee basis. We only get paid if you get paid, and you never have to pay us anything upfront. 
  • Our firm has been in business for over 50 years, so our experience and reputation are unparalleled. 

If you were involved in a hit-and-run accident, there are steps you can take to receive compensation – it’s not a lost cause. The attorneys at The Knowles Law Firm are here to help you. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation.

Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Omaha World-Herald
Million Dollar Advocates Forum
The Reader logo
Nebraska Association of Trial Attorneys
Nebraska State Bar Association